Tuesday 22 January 2008

Quorn medley and Quinoa

My daughter absolutely adores Quorn. She now has ballet followed by pointe class on the same evening, so needs an early dinner that isn't too heavy on the stomach, I have started to cook special meals for her and then eat a different meal later with my hubby.

I have a packet of frozen quorn chicken shaped pieces in the freezer, that way I can take out as many as I need for one meal.

This was an experiment that has proved extremely popular.

Ingredients
2 oz quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion sliced
1/4 green or red pepper thinly sliced
a few small florets of broccoli (suitable to stir fry)
1 handful of frozen quorn pieces
a couple of mushrooms sliced
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1 heaped teaspoon of pesto
salt and pepper
worcester sauce to taste

Method

Pop the quinoa in a sieve and wash under the cold tap, you must stir it around the sieve with your hand to wash well. Pop in a pan cover with about 1/2 finger of water, add a pinch of salt. Bring to boil and then simmer until the quinoa shows it's spirals and looks a little translucent.

Whilst quinoa is cooking make the following.
In a frying pan, heat oil and fry onions for about 2 mins over a medium heat, add the pepper and broccoli, continue to stir fry, add the quorn and fry for another 3 mins. Pop in the mushrooms, cook further 1 min then add tomatoes.

Stir in 1 teaspoon of pesto, some salt and pepper and a couple of shakes of worcester sauce. Gently bubble for about 5 mins.

Drain quinoa and serve.

1 comment:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Well, I purchased quinoa several weeks ago and have still not cooked it because...well...I'm afraid to. This recipe sounds great and very do-able for me. I'm going to give it a try!

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. I'm looking forward to our Shimelle journey together!